Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

Living with Mayon Volcano in the Background

I overstayed in the office today to finish some work and since I was feeling a little bit tired and hungry, I went to the nearby Pacific Mall to unwind and grab a bite. I was quite surprised, then, to see so many tourists (alone and in groups) having their dinner at the different fast-food chains inside the mall. I do see tourists from time to time but today their number is quite unusually big. I thought to myself that with so much improvement in Legazpi City, it may well be the favorite place for tourists now to visit whenever they are here in the Philippines. But then, I remembered.
I do happen to work here in Legazpi City where the world-famous Mayon Volcano, which is known for its near perfect cone, is located here in the Philippines. Mayon Volcano is also one of the 22 active volcanoes in our country. Well, I get to see it always on my way to and from my office so that at times I'm guilty of taking it for granted as just being there - a beautiful backdrop for the lush green scenery along the way. However, since last Friday, I can't help but take a look at the majestic Mayon Volcano every now and then.
During day time, it seems to me that nothing mush is happening. Most of the time, Mayon seems to be shy and hiding itself with itss cone covered by smoke and clouds. But at night, it is a totally different story. From my vantage point of view, be it in the open space of the Legazpi Airport or in the balcony of the place from where I stay, I could clearly see Mayon Volcano's own version of firework display. Its crater is glowing red against the dark night and I could see the silhouette of its near perfect cone with red hot lava oozing out of it and flowing down its slope. Actually, the lava looks like small red strips of party decoration up to the mid-section of the volcano. It's really such a spectacular sight when you get to see it up close especially at night. I watched, just like the other locals and tourists, mesmerized by its beauty and oblivious to the danger it poses. In fact, I feel a bit lucky to have witnessed such a rare phenomenon.
I don't think I see a sign of fear in the faces of all spectators, be they locals or tourists. This is despite the fact that we are on alert level 3 and that anytime, there might be an explosion.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?