Saturday, July 22, 2006

 

Saving and Earning Money on Kids' Doodles and Drawings

Last summer, my daughters sort of became addicted to television viewing. Day in and day out, I would see them glued to the television watching their “favorite” cartoon movies and soap operas. It came to a point that they would rather watch television than help doing some household chores, go out and/or play. I was not quite happy about this and told my husband to do something about it since he is the one who is most of the time with them.

One day, upon returning home from work, my daughters excitedly greeted me and asked to close my eyes before entering our house and open it when I’m already inside our living room. I obliged to their request and was quite surprised to see that the wall in our living room is full of their doodles and drawings. They then pointed the corners where their respective doodles and drawings are and asked for my comments. Naturally, I told them they have beautiful drawings and that with a little more practice they can sell them to the arts and crafts enthusiasts. Well, in fact, they said all of them were paid for already by their father!

After a while, I realized that there was no TV on and the kids went about finishing their yet another “obra maestro”. So when I asked my husband about what’s going on, he related to me that instead of letting the kids watch TV, he asked them to draw anything they like and that he’ll pay for their drawings if they are beautiful and place it in a prominent place in our living room for everybody else to see and appreciate. He even made a contest out of it so that both of them are eager to beat each other in getting the higher monetary prize.

Now that they’re back to school, whenever they are finished with their homework, they no longer insist on watching TV shows. Actually, they are much more excited in coming up with their new drawings although this time, they no longer ask for a monetary reward from their father.

I guess it was such a clever idea of my husband that we’re able to cut the cost of our electricity from TV viewing and saved money from it, too. But I believe what’s most important now is that the kids are enjoying themselves in developing their creativity through their doodles and drawings rather than being passive all day watching TV shows.

Today, my eldest daughter who is just 9 years old approached me and asked if she could sell her drawings through the internet. When I asked her why, she said that maybe there are others who might be interested and enjoy them, too, and what better way is there to sell them than through the internet? I haven’t thought about it but said maybe, indeed, why not?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?